Sunday, March 2, 2008

Little heartbeat




I went for my OB appointment on Thursday, and I got to hear the heartbeat for the first time! It was cool. It did, indeed, sound like galloping horses (which I had heard is what it sort of sounds like). They doc said that everything sounded and looked good, and that next time I go back, we will be able to tell if it is a boy or a girl!

I also broached the "natural childbirth" topic with my doctor, and he was very supportive of me trying it. He was very pragmatic about it; he said, "Well, you always have the epidural as a backup plan.". He told me he had had several patients deliver naturally and everything be just fine, and he said he had had several patients ATTEMPT to deliver naturally and ended up getting epidurals because they couldn't take the discomfort any more. He also said he prefers to perform episitomies if there is any indication at all that a woman needs it (because the end-result can be horrific if a woman tears during delivery). But, all in all, he said that every single decision is entirely my own, and that he will respect whatever I want to do. So, he was supportive and he said that he felt I was going to have a fairly easy time of labor, because I'm tall and have broad hips anyway.

So, that is the update, and a recent picture.

Namaste.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm glad your doctor was supportive of the natural labor! My doctor sort of had the same response when I told her I wanted to go naturally... she said "the best advice I can give you is just to plan to go as far as you can without drugs, and if you need them, they're there"
I can't wait to find out what you're having!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Back when my kids were born, we lived out west and lamaze was the rage. I had both kids completely natural--which was a total shocker for all my family and friends, since I had a tendency to faint at the slightest hint of pain and/or blood! Take it from a total sissy--it can be done!

Your belly is looking cute!

Ames said...

I had to Google the word "episitomy" and me no like :( lol