Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weird times

Wow... what a crazy week the past one was! Sorry I wasn't able to write more... and thanks to everyone who expressed sympathy and caring thoughts after our scary car accident experience!

I went to the doctor on Tuesday, and took my glucose challenge screening — which I FLUNKED! My score "should've" been less than 125, and mine was 153. This is the initial screening they do to determine whether or not you have gestational diabetes. Well, I have to go back this coming Tuesday to do a longer, more extensive screening that will determine for sure whether or not I have this problem. The nurse said that often women fail the first test, but pass the second one. So, there's still hope! I'll let you know the outcome.

They're also going to do another major ultrasound Tuesday afternoon to make sure that the baby is doing well. I think the doctor just wants to be extra sure that everything is okay after the accident. He already ran a blood test that checks for placental bleeding, and that came back clear, so I'm sure everything will be fine. But, I'll probably feel a lot better after having the ultrasound. I have to admit that I've had an increasing sense of anxiety. Maybe I've just got a lot of stress or something right now, but lately I feel really overwhelmed and tired.

We also have a crazy phenomenon happening at our house right now: a particular bird (which I've discovered is called an "Eastern Towhee") has become infatuated with our cars. He keeps flying down onto our cars' side-view mirrors and sort of "attacking" his own reflection in the mirror. He does it constantly!! So, our cars are completely covered in bird poop (which just adds insult to injury when it comes to having a rental car... a rental car that, coincidentally, happens to be the SAME make and model of car that HIT us in the accident.)

Also, we have a mockingbird in the Bradford pear tree outside whose sole purpose in life seems to be singing at the top of its lungs ALL NIGHT LONG. I don't know why the birds around here are going nuts, but they certainly are. (And bringing me right along with them!!)

So, that is the news around here. Things are just sort of ... weird. That is the best way to describe it. But, like all things, I know that this, too, shall pass.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Elena M said...

Hey Kari!
I am glad to hear everything seems to be fine after your accident! I failed the initial sugar test too and had to take the longer one that everyone says is SO SO BAD. But I thought it was no sweat. Boring if nothing else. Maybe because I drank the lemon-lime flavored stuff instead of the orange? (We go to the same doc, so I am sure you could get that kind too from the lab lady.) I ended up being diagnosed with gestational diabetes and have been watching carbs and sugar to keep it under control. Hasn't been too bad at all (at 33 weeks I've only gained 11 lbs., partly due to the diet I am sure.) Since I lurk on your blog, I figure it is only fair to share mine with you - minimcbride.blogspot.com. I am not as witty a writer as you, but hopefully you'll visit anyway.
Take Care!
Elena