So, Steve and I were coming back from Lake Martin last night, and we had a pretty ugly car accident. It was just me and him in the car, and we're both okay; I only have a bruised/scraped knee. The baby seems fine. I was checked out by EMT's at the scene, and they took my blood pressure and pulse (both of which were impressively low, I thought, considering how shook up I was). Since nothing had struck my abdomen and I was wearing my seatbelt, I decided not to go to the hospital; especially because I have a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment tomorrow morning.
Basically what happened is that Steve and I were west-bound on Highway 280 in Chelsea, and we approached an intersection where we had a green light. We proceeded to go through the intersection at normal speed, when, suddenly, a white Jetta turned from the opposite direction to turn left across traffic (they had a green light but no green arrow), and they ran directly into us. Steve tried to swerve and avoid the car, and if the driver had even seen us for a second and put on his brakes or tried to steer away from us, we might've avoided the collision, but the kid driving (17 year old boy) obviously didn't see us until he ran into us, because he didn't slow down one bit or try to brake or avoid us at all.
It scared the you-know-what out of me, and I screamed and instinctively raised my knee and arms to try and protect my body, so that is how my knee slammed into the dashboard. Our air bags did not deploy — we think because the impact was mostly on the front driver's side quarter panel.
Luckily, Steve was okay, and he checked to make sure I was okay. There were lots of witnesses and obviously the kid just didn't see us as he turned left. He felt really bad and was apologetic. His parents came, and they were very apologetic, as well.
So, our brand new car was messed up pretty bad and not drivable. We had to have it towed. But, I have to say, it took the impact really well. You could tell that it took the force and crumpled perfectly, and I see how it was designed to protect us. I was very impressed.
The kid's car was really messed up, too, but luckily, he and his passenger were not hurt.
It really stinks that our lovely new car is torn up, but it made me realize that there are much more important things to worry about than just material stuff. I thank God that Steve and I are okay and I feel confident the baby is fine, too. I shudder to think of what the alternative could've been.
Go tell your spouse and children that you love them.... things can turn around so fast when you least expect them to.
Namaste.
17 years ago

1 comment:
I pulled up your blog to show Becky your cute little belly and when I saw your entry about the car accident, it made me shutter. I'm so glad you and Steve and baby girl are okay. Hugs to you.
Post a Comment