You are now 4 months old, and can't believe how the time is flying! You just celebrated your first Christmas, and it was so much fun. You got tons of toys and even more love, hugs and kisses from all the relatives we spent time with.

All these toys came at just the right time, because you are now becoming rather proficient with your hands. You can grab just about anything easily, and usually put it straight in your mouth. For that matter, you put anything in your mouth — toy or otherwise. One of your favorite things to put in your mouth is the fingers of the person holding you (gross)! Your dad got tickled at you trying to eat him one day and said you looked like a zombie-baby going after some brains! (I think you're way cuter than a zombie.)

You also absolutely love to stand, and to be "pulled-up" to standing. Usually, you gaze down at your feet and step in place, as if trying to figure out how those things work. I won't be a bit surprised if you start walking at 7 months, like your father did. But, I sort of hope you don't because I'm not ready for it!! You already keep me exhausted and you're only 4 months old! I shudder to think what it will be like when you gain independent mobility.
One thing the holidays were NOT good for was the fact that it totally disrupted your schedule, and now you're up at all hours of the night, and tired when you shouldn't be and not tired when you should. You're also not eating well at all right now, and I'm not sure if your reflux is acting up or if you're just out of sorts. But, really, the past few days are what amounts to a "nursing strike". I'm lucky if you nurse longer than 8 minutes, and usually it ends with you biting me and crying in fury. It wears me out, but I'm pretty sure it is because your routine is off. This week I'm attempting to get you back on track. I really think you thrive when you have a solid routine.... I think all people do. Predictability is the preventer of stress.

In general, though, you have a wonderful disposition. You smile at everyone and you don't seem shy at all. You weren't even scared of Santa Claus. Of course, you were probably more scared of me, because when I sat you in Santa's lap, I was jumping up and down and yodeling like a loon to try and get you to smile. The result was you staring at me in blank concern while Emery cackled at me. I guess it is good though, because it is a cute picture of Emery missing her teeth. Ashlyn, of course, looks beautiful as always.

You've also started "talking" again.... for a while, your coos had fallen off (namely, I think, because you've been preoccupied stuffing all ten fingers in your mouth). But now, you're attempting more complex sounds. Your little mouth curves in a determined way and then your tongue curls visibly as if trying to "shape" a sound, and then out you come with a decided "aaahhgg!" I'm trying to teach you to say "ba ba" and "da da" and "ma ma", but I know that is still a ways off.

You're also very close to rolling over by yourself. You did it one time when you were about 2 months old, but I think that was a total fluke and you had no idea what you were doing. Now, I can see you working over the mechanics of it in your mind and trying again and again, with slight variations. Once you figure out how to get your arm in the right position, you'll have it in no time.
Your dad and sisters and I are thrilled with all your little accomplishments. Something about having a baby around reminds you of how we are all still sort of like babies.... attempting to make sense of our world and toddling along toward some unknown achievement. It is amazing the amount of determination you have, and I'm struck by wondering what the world would be like if we all maintained that level of determination into adulthood. It is simply marvelous to see how fast you learn and the delight you take in everything. It inspires me to appreciate and make the best of every moment.
This morning, I saw a little golden-colored wren out the kitchen window, busily scratching around, finding her breakfast. She flitted from one spot to the next, and she seemed so content just to be alive. That is how you are right now. That is how we should all be.
I love you,
Mama







1 comment:
hahahaha I absolutely LOVE the last picture!!! That is so adorable! what a cutie!
Post a Comment