Friday, October 24, 2008

Setback

So, some of you may have heard that I had to have surgery last Tuesday. Here's why:

I had decided that a Mirena IUD was the best birth control option after having Wren. I know a couple people who have them and love it.

I went in to the doctor's office Tuesday before last to have it inserted. When the doctor put it in, it hurt SO BAD. It hurt worse than labor pains. Seriously. And I told him so. But, he looked at me like I was exaggerating. I wasn't.

It turns out that the reason it hurt so bad was because the doctor had inadvertently put the thing ALL THE WAY THROUGH MY UTERUS. Yes, you heard right. He actually PUNCTURED my uterus with the device, and it was floating around willy-nilly in my abdomen (quite close to my colon, in fact, because it plagued me with sharp, ice-pick like pains whenever I had any kind of bowel activity.) Apparently, the odds of this happening is 1 in 1,000.

After 3 days of bleeding and sudden, excruciating pain that would stop me in my tracks and then disappear, I called the doctor and asked if this was normal? He said not exactly, and I should come in for an ultrasound.

Two ultrasounds and an X-ray later, he found (surprise!) the wayward IUD. He scheduled me for a laparoscopic surgery the following Tuesday.

It is totally irritating and sad, because I had to contend with an infant and surgery, including having to pump like a madwoman to get enough breastmilk saved up for a 24 hour period after anesthesia. I almost got enough... we only had to supplement with formula for one bottle.

But, all in all, it was a fairly simple surgery, and I'm already feeling pretty good. Just a little sore and tired. Steve was fantastic with taking care of me and the baby and the big girls. He is a wonderful man.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LORD! That sucks! I'm glad you're doing well now!